Wednesday, October 15, 2008

my sacred djembe.....


Isn't she beautiful?? OK OK.....I know some of you will argue that ALL djembe's are sacred....but this one has very deep, special significance for me...I made it myself, from scratch, angle grinded it into the correct shape, decorated it with porcupine quills and gemstones and then painted it...the awesomeness is that just a few days after I started the project I had a vivid dream of what to paint on it...I have been holding onto that vision for a while but thanks to total peace and quiet I have been able to finish the artwork whilst here on the farm...its been about 7 weeks since I started so I have a real sense of accomplishment. Now Piet must show me how to do the roping and skinning and I'm done. It's bit lop-sided, but hey, so am I!!

I say a BIG "Thank you" to my kannoni Piet Aarde for guiding me in this work...and thanks to his beautiful wife Mama Cha Cha (just because)....you are my flames mates for sure.

No comments: