Monday, October 4, 2010

a Divinely appointed journey ~ August 2010

So here I am in a beautiful apartment in Lisbon, Portugal, still in awe of how I came to be here. Let me share my wonderment!

In January this year, a darling friend, soul sister, Magenta Angel (aka Thelia) asked if I would like to join her at Boom. BOOM?? I didnt even know about it, but when she told me that it was a music etc. festival in Portugal, the prospect of travel grabbed me and I said "of course". Thelia mentioned that it would be sometime from June, possibly July to the end of the festival late August.

Well I didn't give it much more thought. The next thing I heard T had left for Boom in May, so I presumed that there was not an opportunity for me and put it out of my mind. In the 2nd week of July I get an email asking if I would still like to come over - they need a facilitator in the Welcome Tent of the Healing Area. Wow!! My heart took a double beat! But I had much to consider, some really important issues, such as a relationship I was in, a contract I was committed to (but had the feeling for some weeks that my time with these precious people, who have since become good friends, was drawing to an end), a passport that was missing and limited funds to buy a ticket. Nothing major!!

As I always do, I laid my heart before God, asking for His wisdom and direction. The sense that this was something I was destined to do, became ever stronger, but the hurdles?? I had been searching high & low for my passport, to no avail, since March, for a possible trip to Namibia and then in June for Mocambique. Nada! Aziko! Skoonweg!! So one Thursday morning before leaving to work, I asked that if I was meant to go to Portugal, that I would have my passport in my grubby paws that evening...not Fri, not Saturday, but that night. When I got home at 5, I knew I had to start looking again, but felt it to be a fruitless exercise and didnt really feel like going through all my stuff, yet again. Those that know my circumstances will appreciate that I have small room in Heidi's house, a few shelves, 1 box of winter clothes and a few plastic trunks in the back of my Uno. Not a lot to go through, but I had done this a few times and there was no passport. Daaamn!! So I go to the box, yank out a handful of clothes, see a bag, lift it and out and give it a shake....and....yes you guessed it (otherwise I wouldn't be writing this from Portugal!!), there in a zip compartment is my passport. I know that I know that I must go...no doubts whatsoever.

Hurdle No. 2 - to leave work and Wendell & Marjo...I know that they will understand that this is from God, but still not easy. I give it a few days. There is an opportunity to chat to Wendell and he shares some stuff about their business that makes my decision easier and clearer. Thanks guys, for the great time together and for offering to keep the door open should I return - I love and appreciate you!

Hurdle No.3 - the bucks!!! I have a bit in savings, but not enough for my ticket. But knowing that I must go, and trusting the Divine Plan, the money will surely come in. 2 days later I get a call from Jan (my partner in the GSD breeding) asking if I want to sell Shula, who has been with him since I embarked on my nomadic journey. I don't immediately put 2 and 2 together, but react with an emphatic "NO!!" how can I sell my baby?? He reminds me that she has been away from me for 2 years (sheeet...is it that long already!!) and even though I see her from time to time, she's not with me. Lee - "Yes, but I love her" Jan - "yes but these people will also love her!!" And so my better judgement over-rules my heart...as hard as it is, it's best for her - she will be in a loving family home. I make a deal with Jan for him to keep some of the bucks to say thanks for caring for her - 4 days later I have the money in my account....and....it's exactly what I am short to buy the ticket!!

Are you getting the picture??

I still take things a day at a time, trusting that all unfolds in perfect time. The only ones who know of the possibility of me going are my children. Not even my best friends had a clue and I kept it that way until I was 100% sure that I was going...not easy to contain such a B I G, E X C I T I N G secret!!

Next I need enough money in my credit card to show that I can look after myself...thanks to a very special angel...you know who you are! Voila!!

And so, just a week before I depart, I apply for my visa...the last hurdle...and I am over it!! Y A A A Y Y !!! Portugal here I come.

I let my loved ones all know a week before I leave...of course there were mixed emotions....lots of joy, excitement, tears (those who knew in their hearts that it would be a long time before I returned), but all wished me well.

It really was like dominoes falling....and soooo meant to be. And I guess I knew in my heart that the planned 6 weeks would possibly turn into months...or even years!

No comments: