Monday, August 1, 2011

A 9 year old girl inspires...even after death

I "came across" this today....don't you just love synchronicity...it is prevalent wherever I go!!

Compassionate Strangers Take Up 9-year-old's Cause for Charity after Accident
Aimee Herd (August 1, 2011)

"I am in awe of the overwhelming love to take my daughter's dream and make it a reality. In the face of unexplainable pain you have provided undeniable hope." –Samantha Paul

Rachel Beckwith had a very benevolent birthday wish after learning of the plight of so many in third-world nations where clean drinking water is a luxury; Rachel wanted people to donate to the Charity: Water instead of giving her presents.

Rachel BeckwithAccording to The Lookout article, Rachel wrote, "I found out that millions of people don't live to see their 5th birthday. And why? Because they didn't have access to clean, safe water so I'm celebrating my birthday like never before. I'm asking from everyone I know to donate to my campaign instead of gifts for my birthday. Every penny of the money raised will go directly to fund freshwater projects in developing nations."

Her goal was to raise $300.00 for the charity through a page that she posted on the internet. When her June 12th birthday arrived, she had only raised $220.00, so she reportedly closed the donation page.

Then, last week, Rachel was in a terrible car accident in Bellevue, Washington that involved 13 other vehicles. She was on life support for a time before she died.

It was Rachel's pastor, Ryan Meeks who decided to pick up where the compassionate child had left off; he brought up the page and told about it on Eastlake Community Church's website, linking to it so people could donate.

They did.

At the time of this writing there have been over 11,500 donations totaling $432,750. Some have written notes to Rachel on the page. (CLICK HERE to go to Rachel's page)

Rachel's mother, Samantha posted a response to the incredible outpouring…

"I am in awe of the overwhelming love to take my daughter's dream and make it a reality. In the face of unexplainable pain you have provided undeniable hope. Thank you for your generosity! I know Rachel is smiling!" she said.

(from Breaking Christian News)



No comments: