Tuesday, August 12, 2014

My Darling Mom would be Proud of Me!!

My Mom, the beautiful, gentle, amazing Philippa, was a "bobaas bakster".  She won many prizes at agricultural shows for her baking.  Cakes, biscuits and bread were her specialities.  She made "boere beskuit" that looked like comets and sucked up a whole cup of coffee!!


March 26 1938

I suspect her bread success was in part thanks to my darling Father, Phil (Yes!! the same names, but that's another story, still to be told).  He would do the kneading with his strong, yet gentle hands.  I believed that to be the reason why my bread and rusks were never as successful!!  The product of my attempts back in the 70s and 80s was only good for building walls!!

But I have been watching my daughter make bread which is so light, with long threads to pull off and savour, almost like a cake it's so delicious.  And then my friend and landlady Elke made a bread on Saturday.  I watched and made notes.  This is the result of my baking this morning.  Yaaaay!!!  No more bricks!!

Ma, I know you are smiling down and are very proud.  It took me yonks, but what a joy!!! There is something deeply comforting in making your own bread.



No comments: