Saturday, August 30, 2014

Voëls Verg Geduld

I have seen such beautiful birds, especially in the honeysuckle bushes, but despite my most valiant efforts, I am not quick enough to get to the camera.  One day last week, I must have scrambled 3 or 4 times to try and capture the simply magnificent sunbird, eventually setting the camera up in a permanent spot and spending at least an hour or more, waiting for that perfect shot.  He didn't even appear again!

On Thursday the cold front hit us and despite the heavy rain, the little birdies were out and about, excitedly doing their thing. There were 3 that seemed to play tag!  Of course, same old same old, I tried to catch them, to no avail.  I decided, what better way to spend the next hour than patiently waiting.  I hid behind the curtain of my bedroom (NO!!  I had no plans of going out into the rain to shoot!).  

Patience paid off!  Not the crispest of photos - those little guys are soooo fast!  But at least you can see the beautiful colours and in one or 2 their needle-like beaks drinking nectar.  What a Joy!!!

(I think this is the malachite sunbird and the little grey one is a sugarbird)







No comments: